TWITTER updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Featured Posts by Others

    « Online Scheduling with iPolipo | Main | vacating »

    August 07, 2007


    Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.


    The real answer to this question is:

    "It depends on your jurisdiction."

    For instance, in IL, we have a law called the Right of Publicity Act. It is far stricter than most other states' laws on the subject. As an example, while one of the two specific exceptions in the law as to when a release is required is that professional photographers may use their images to promote their photography, if a subject requests that the photographer not use their images, the photographer must stop at once or risk legal sanction. It also defines commercial use far, far more broadly than any of the references above.

    So the real REAL answer to the question is, "Consult an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction and familiar with the relevant law."

    Sorry, but that's just the way it is. In this as in so many areas of life, what everybody knows, ain't necessarily so. :(


    The comments to this entry are closed.

    Subscription Options

    • Fan Us

      Below are two subscription options. You can now get our blog in your email in-box by entering your email address in the form below. Or, if you are using a blog reader, you can subscribe to the feed for this blog using the "Subscribe in a reader" link!

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

    Sponsors & Resources

    Get Typepad

    Hey Girl Shared